Tuesday 18 May 2010

On growing old.

There's been a lot of fuss here in Britain lately about the recent election and the hung parliament but the biggest shock, for me, came when I realized that David Cameron, the new Prime Minister is younger than me!  I'm... erm... 44 (and some months)  and David Cameron is 43 years and 7 months old.  I had to retire to a darkened room and fan myself to try and recover from the news, I tell you.


Whippersnapper
Image courtesy of thesun.co.uk


After I'd came to terms with such outrageous news, I got to thinking about age and wisdom.  


Somehow I've always felt that there'd come a point as you grow older that you'd accumulate such knowledge and such wisdom that the questions of the universe would suddenly become clear and you'd just know what to do in any given situation.  How to behave at a dinner party?  Ask me, I'm an old person.  Should I take the job?  I know the answer to this, I'm old.  Budget deficit?  Easy, I know what to do, I'm old.  


But now that I'm officially... erm... mature, I realize that I'm just as confused as I was when I was eighteen.  The only difference now is, I just know how to bluff better.  All my contemporaries are the same - making it up as we go with no real clue as to whether we're doing the right thing.  This makes me think that our erstwhile leaders must be the same - bumbling along, desperately hoping they've made the right decision.  Scary stuff.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...