Wednesday 2 February 2011

The Kings Speech - a review

I was in desperate need of mental and cultural stimulation today after spending the whole day yesterday on Facebook/Twitter & watching some truly woeful TV so I took myself off to see 'The Kings Speech'.



It was a very smart move on my part.  It's an amazing film. Colin Firth was magnificent.  Not in a hot-Mr-Darcy-emerging-from-the-lake kind of way.  In a strong, intelligent actor at the height of his powers kind of way.  Geoffrey Rush was as great as ever and it was good to see Helena Bonham-Carter going back to her roots & playing an English gentlewoman.


For those of you not in the know, it's about Bertie, the reluctant prince who overcame a crippling stammer with the help of an unorthodox Australian speech therapist and became King George VI.  During World War II, King George VI played a very important part in boosting British morale and became a symbol of the British spirit.  I actually found myself welling up at times as they both overcame obstacles in their lives and became the unlikeliest of friends.  Dare I whisper the hackneyed phrase 'life affirming'?


Definitely a recommendation from me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...