Tuesday 16 October 2012

Autumn, how I love you.

Ah autumn!  It's definitely my favourite time of year.  I grew up in Africa so I really appreciate seasons.  The light is a little clearer now, the weather a little chillier and there's a feeling of 'back to business' in the air.

Although I love the relaxed, pretty clothes of summer, autumn fashion is really where it's at for me.  You can keep your denim cutoffs if I can have the fierce glamour of goth or brocade.  A rainy afternoon in an old wood panelled pub wearing cozy jewel coloured knits beats an sweltering day at a festival in dirty, muddy clothes surrounded by drunk students.  And the shoes!  A pair of killer heels at a barbeque looks far too 'try hard' but wear those same shoes with a velvet coat at the opera and you're smokin'!  Flip flops are fine but Manolos are better...

And the colours of autumn always make my breath catch as the majestic trees shed their leaves.


Even now, seeing piles of autumn leaves just makes me want to go and jump in them.

I'll leave you with Keats's wonderful 'Ode to Autumn' which says it so much better than I ever could...

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness,
        Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
    Conspiring with him how to load and bless
        With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eves run;
    To bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees,
        And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
          To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
        With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
    And still more, later flowers for the bees,
  Until they think warm days will never cease,
          For Summer has o'er-brimm'd their clammy cells.

2 comments:

Natalia | Look-A-Porter said...

I am not very much an Autumn person (spring is my happy time), but I do love September, the way everything looks and how the air smells of apples, fires and leaves. x

Style At Every Age said...

I finally got round to jumping in leaves on a recent walk round the village, don't know why I enjoy doing that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...