"Oh, yes! Yes, I'd love to come to dinner.
I haven't eaten a proper meal for weeks. There's something so pathetic about cooking a proper meal when you're on your own.
Usually just toast... With Marmite..."
I actually stopped dead in disbelief when I heard this. Needless to say, I completely disagree with him so in honour of that sad, lonely man waiting for his life to start, here are my Rules for Eating Alone.
- Remember if you are eating alone, this is a special time. It's your time to reflect on the day and make plans without any distractions.
- Listen to music. My favourite is Classic FM.
- Cook simple, tasty, nutritious food. Food that you enjoy. Endless slices of Marmite toast implies a sense of disregard for your own wellbeing. One of my favourite meals is fresh filled pasta with olive oil and gruyere cheese grated on top. So simple and easy to prepare but healthy and filling.
- Sit down at the table and clear things like laptops away. I love eating at my dining table. It's in the corner of the living room and I can watch the sunset over the treetops. I always lay the table properly with a place mat. Personally I feel that if you eat on your lap in front of the TV, not only will you not appreciate your food, you'll invariably end up overeating because you're distracted. Never eat standing up over the kitchen sink.
- Try not to take phone calls whilst you're eating. There's plenty of time for that later.