Monday 3 June 2013

Sunday afternoon

Yesterday really was wonderful.  One of those perfect days that really sets you up for the coming week.

We started off by going up to Hampstead to see 'The Stars that play with Laughing Sam's Dice' by Robert Calvert (from Hawkwind) at the Pentameters Theatre.



I knew it was going to be special the moment we walked in. Pentameters is a fringe theatre above a gastro pub in Hampstead. Audience seating was wooden chairs with a selection of mismatched, old cushions.  A joss stick was burning in the corner and the back wall was covered with pictures from previous shows.

The lights didn't just dim before the show started, the founder of Pentameters actually came on stage and chatted to us about the show.  She'd met Robert Calvert whilst she was visiting a friend in a mental home back in the 70's and had encouraged him to write this script!  It was so interesting to hear the personal aspect to the production.  She also told us a little bit about everyone involved in the production, even down to the technician.

The play was about a meeting between a young, black, American paratrooper called James Marshall Hendrix and a staff sergeant back in the 60's.  The paratrooper went on to become Jimi Hendrix.  It's very much of its time, which believe me, isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned.  There was premonitions and talk of pacifism and a bit of psychodelia.  The only problem I had was with the casting of the sergeant.  He was obviously younger than the guy playing Hendrix and that didn't really ring true with me.  Still, it was a minor quibble.

It's such a shame that yesterday was the last performance otherwise I'd be urging everyone to go and see it.

*

After the show, we decided to go for a walk as it was such a gorgeous evening.  We didn't have any particular destination in mind other than following our noses down interesting looking streets.

We ended up walking through the leafy streets of Hampstead, dreaming of living there one day,



through Swiss Cottage and into Regents Park.



We came across a flying trapeze school but sadly they weren't practising.


After dismissing the tourist trap that is Baker Street, we ended up in The Real Greek just off Marylebone High Street.  Good fresh food was the perfect end to the day.

4 comments:

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

What a lovely day! I wish I had known about that play sooner - sounds amazing! I also love walking the canals of north London - my fave one is the regents canal to maida vale walk!

PEN PHOTO PASSPORT said...

Oh shame, I was gonna ask you how to get tickets to the play, but it was the last day.

I love Hampstead too, and can only wish to live in the area one day. Love driving past the grand houses.

Was in Clapham instead to watch my partner at his comedy competition (he did well btw!) The weather was great so I couldn't care less where I was as long as the sun was out :)

Have a lovely week ahead x

Beautiful Things - Cathy said...

Coulda shoulda woulda - Do you know, I'd completely forgotten about Maida Vale,lol? Thanks for reminding me, It's gorgeous there. I shall definitely be paying it a visit whilst the weather holds. That walk from Regents Canal sounds amazing. x

Beautiful Things - Cathy said...

Ms Madge- Congratulations on your partner doing so well in the competition. Have a great week. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...